South Carolina Medigap: Competitively-Priced Companies Available Here
- Forethought Life Insurance
- AARP Medicare (United Healthcare)
- American Continental
- Mutual of Omaha
- Sterling Investors
- New Era Medicare Supplements
- Gerber Life Insurance
- Loyal American
- Sentinel Security
NOTE: There are many more companies that offer plans in South Carolina, but these are some of the companies that are currently priced competitively in this market.
South Carolina Medigap Plans: What Do They Cover?
South Carolina Medicare Supplement plans are Federally-standardized, so they must all, regardless of company, offer the same standardized coverage. There is a standardized plans chart that shows what each plan must cover - there are a total of 10 plans. You can view the chart here Medigap coverage chart.
Overall, some of the more common plans in South Carolina, and elsewhere, are the Medigap Plan F, Plan G, and Plan N. These three plans all provide comprehensive coverage on filling in the "gaps" in "original" Medicare (Medicare Parts A & B). For people who want the most comprehensive coverage plan available, Plan F is the best option - it pays the Medicare deductibles and the 20% that Medicare itself doesn't cover at the doctor and hospital. With a Plan F, you have no out of pocket costs at the doctor or hospital. That said, Plan G can sometimes be a better value, depending on the premium difference between F and G. Plan G is the same as F with one exception - it doesn't cover the Medicare Part B deductible.
So, how do Medigap plans work? The most important thing to remember is that Medigap plans work the same way, regardless of company:
- First and foremost, there are no restrictive doctor or hospital networks that you must stay within. You can go to any doctor or hospital, nationwide, that accepts Medicare.
- Secondly, patient involvement in the claims process is very minimal, usually non-existent. All claims are filed and paid through the Medicare "crossover" system. You do not have to file or pay the claims yourself.
South Carolina Medicare Supplement Quotes
Because coverage, claim payments and doctor acceptance are the same with all companies, it is the most important to focus on the two factors that matter - price and company reputation.
Comparing the price of Medicare Supplements is very easy to do and does not require the time-consuming task of calling all of the insurance companies directly or meeting with insurance agents in your home. It is always advisable, no matter which agent/agency it is, to work with an independent agent. Using an independent agent does not cost you anything, and on the contrary, usually saves you money and headache, as well as helping you understand how the plans work. An independent agent can also give you information about plan customer service, rate increase history, and other factors that you are not able to obtain from the companies themselves. Lastly, an independent agent can maintain some neutrality and loyalty to the customer because he or she does not work for a specific company.
Medicare-Supplement.US can help you compare plans by providing a customized rate quote analysis by email. This allows you to see rates and company ratings in a centralized place and will greatly assist in your understanding of the options. To have a rate quote analysis emailed to you, just request a South Carolina Medigap quote.
Special State-Specific Implications
As we've detailed, coverage is standardized on a national basis, so it is the same in each state. That said, there are some state-specific things to know that affect purchasing plans in different states or areas.
- First of all, South Carolina uses tobacco usage as an underwriting criteria when you are turning 65 or in open enrollment or "guaranteed issue" period (many other states do NOT). SC does not, however, use other factors, such as the number of medications you are on, your health or your height/weight.
- With most companies, there are gender-specific rates in SC. In this case, females are generally 8-15% less expensive than males. The difference in female/male rates depends on the company writing the policy.
- South Carolina plans are allowed to include a household discount to be applied on the plans. So if you are signing up with a spouse, some companies may reduce your rates by 5-10% based on having two policies within the same household.
- Typically in SC, companies set rates based on your zip code. There are usually at least two rating areas. In other words, rates vary based on which part of the state you live in.
Obtaining a South Carolina Medicare Supplement Plan
Obtaining a South Carolina Medicare Supplement plan is easy to do. Once you get quotes for the available plans, you can easily compare the options and select a choice that you feel is the best fit for you. If you are in a special enrollment period, such as open enrollment (turning 65 or signing up for Medicare Part B) or "guaranteed issue" (losing employer coverage, losing Advantage plan coverage, moving to a new state, etc.), signing up for a plan could not be easier. You do not have to answer medical questions or fill out a detailed health history. You just fill in a little personal information and sign up.
To get a rate quote comparison from us, which will include the top-priced options for your age and zip code and company ratings, simply request the information online using: South Carolina Medicare Supplement Quotes. We can provide the information you are seeking so you can compare multiple quotes in a centralized place and make an informed decision.