North Carolina Medigap: Competitively-Priced Companies Available Here
- Mutual of Omaha
- Sterling Investors
- Gerber Life Insurance
- Forethought Life Insurance
- AARP Medicare (United Healthcare)
- American Continental
- Loyal American
- Sentinel Security
NOTE: There are many more companies that offer plans in NC, but these are some of the companies that are currently priced competitively in this market.
North Carolina Medicare Supplements: What They Cover and How They Work
North Carolina Medicare Supplement plans are Federally-standardized. This just means that they are required to go by the Federally-mandated chart that indicates what each plan must cover. You can view the chart here Medigap coverage chart.
Some of the most common plans in NC, and elsewhere, are the Medigap Plan F, Plan G, and Plan N. These plans provide comprehensive coverage on filling in the "gaps" in "original" Medicare (Medicare Parts A & B). Plan F is the most comprehensive option - it pays the Medicare deductibles and the 20% that Medicare itself doesn't cover at the doctor and hospital.
All Medigap plans work the same way, regardless of company:
- First and foremost, there are no networks that you must go to in order to receive coverage. You can go to any doctor or hospital, nationwide, that accepts Medicare.
- Secondly, you do not have to file the claims manually. All companies pay claims through the Medicare "crossover" system, which insures a timely and efficient payment to the providers.
North Carolina Medicare Supplement Plan Comparison
Since coverage, doctor acceptance, and claims payments are standardized across the board with Medicare Supplements in NC, it is essential to do a thorough comparison based on the two factors that matter - price and company reputation.
Comparing the price of Medicare Supplements is easy to do and does not require the time-consuming task of calling all of the insurance companies directly. It is always advisable, no matter which agent/agency it is, to work with an independent agent. This does not cost you anything and allows you to compare all of the options in a centralized, unbiased place. An independent agent can also give you information about plan customer service, rate increase history, and other factors that you are not able to obtain from the companies themselves.
Medicare-Supplement.US can help you compare plans by providing a customized rate quote analysis by email. This allows you to see rates and company ratings in a centralized place and will greatly assist in your understanding of the options. To have a rate quote analysis emailed to you, just request a North Carolina Medigap quote.
Special State-Specific Implications
While coverage itself is Federally-standardized, there are some specific guidelines and differences in underwriting from state to state. Here are few that pertain to NC:
- NC does not use tobacco usage as an underwriting criteria when you are turning 65 or in open enrollment or "guaranteed issue" period (many other states do).
- NC does have gender-specific rates (most companies) - and females are generally 8-15% less expensive than males. The difference in female/male rates depends on the company writing the policy.
- NC does allow household discount to be applied on the plans. So if you are signing up with a spouse, some companies may reduce your rates by 5-10% based on having two policies within the same household.
- With most companies, NC rates are the same, regardless of zip code. In other words, they are state-wide rates. Many states are divided (by the companies) into geographic areas for rate-setting purposes; however, NC is not generally one of those states.
Obtaining a North Carolina Medicare Supplement Plan
Obtaining a North Carolina Medicare Supplement plan is easy to do, particularly if you are in a special enrollment period, such as open enrollment (turning 65 or signing up for Medicare Part B) or "guaranteed issue" (losing employer coverage, losing Advantage plan coverage, moving to a new state, etc.)
To sign up for a plan, simply compare the options, including rates and company ratings, select a plan and sign up. To get a rate quote comparison from us, which will include the top-priced options for your age and zip code and company ratings, simply request the information online using: North Carolina Medicare Supplement Quotes. We can provide the information you are seeking so you can compare multiple quotes in a centralized place and make an informed decision.