Mississippi Medigap: Competitively-Priced Companies Available Here
- Mutual of Omaha
- Gerber Life Insurance
- Forethought Life Insurance
- AARP Medicare (United Healthcare)
- Assured Life
- Philadelphia American
- Family Life
NOTE: Obviously there are many more options for Medicare Supplement insurance in MS than the ones listed above. However, this is a starting point of the most competitively priced companies that available currently in Mississippi.
Mississippi Medigap Plans: What Are They and How Do They Work?
Mississippi Medicare Supplement plans fill in the "gaps" in "original" Medicare. On the whole, there are a total of 10 different plans. Each plan covers different aspects and amounts of the Medicare gaps. These plans are sold through private insurance companies to "supplement" Medicare. These 10 plans are Federally-standardized - this just means that it is easy to compare "like" plans. For example, a Plan F with one company is the exact same as a Plan F with another company. You can view the standardized coverage chart here Medigap coverage chart.
Of the 10 different plan designs, some of the plans are more comprehensive than others: Medigap Plan F, Plan G, and Plan N are the most common plans (and the plans offered by most insurance companies). With all of these options, a variety of the "gaps" in Medicare are covered. Some plans cover more gaps than others. Medigap Plan F is the most comprehensive option and is often viewed as the most advantageous - it pays both Medicare deductibles (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B), as well as the 20% that Medicare itself doesn't cover at the doctor and hospital. However, Plan G is sometimes, depending on the premium where you live, a better option and a better value.
It doesn't matter at all which company sells you your Medigap plan, the plan itself will work the same way:
- First and foremost, there are no networks with Medigap. You can go to any doctor that takes Medicare, nationwide. They are required to take the Medigap plans, regardless of company. So, buying a plan because your doctor says he is familiar with it may make you feel better about it, but is not important to do, nor does it impact whether they will take the plan. Additionally, because Medicare is a Federal program and the plans are Federally-standardized, coverage is the same in each state if you travel.
- Secondly, you do not have to handle (i.e. file, pay, etc.) claims yourself at all. This is entirely handled through the Medicare "crossover" system. This system ensures timely payment of the claims, no matter which company is insuring you.
Mississippi Medigap Comparison
There are three things that are the same with all insurance companies, when it comes to Medicare Supplements - coverage, doctor acceptance, and claims payments. The two things of utmost importance to compare when looking at a Medigap plan are: price and company reputation. These can both vary greatly from company to company and they should be the basis for your decision on a company, when dealing with Medicare Supplement insurance.
While it would be impossible on your own to contact all 40+ companies that offer Medicare Supplements in the state of Mississippi (and many companies don't give rates over the phone, only in person during a face-to-face meeting), it is very easy to get all of these rates from an independent brokerage/agent, typically by email. This allows you to compare all of the plans in a centralized, unbiased place. An independent agent can also give you information about plan customer service, rate increase history, and other factors that you are not able to obtain from the companies themselves.
Medicare-Supplement.US can help you compare plans by providing a customized rate quote analysis by email. This allows you to see rates and company ratings in a centralized place and will greatly assist in your understanding of the options. To have a rate quote analysis emailed to you, just request a Mississippi Medigap quote.
Mississippi State-Specific Medigap Implications
As we've discussed, Medicare Supplement plans are Federally-standardized. With that in mind, Mississippi Medigap plans are the exact same as Medigap plans offered in other states (with a couple of minor exceptions - there are two states that do not offer the Federally-standardized plans). However, there are some state-specific guidelines, etc. that do impact Medigap plans in Mississippi:
- Mississippi DOES use tobacco usage as an underwriting criteria when you are turning 65 or in open enrollment or "guaranteed issue" period (many states do). This just means that, even when you are in open enrollment or "guaranteed issue", tobacco rates, which are usually 10-15% higher than non-tobacco rates, do apply to your premium.
- Nearly all companies that do business in MS use gender-specific rates. When they do, female rates are typically 5-10% lower than the male rates.
- Additionally, Mississippi Medicare Supplements DO permit household discounts to be applied on the plans. This is something to consider, if you are applying with a Medicare-eligible spouse. There are some companies (Mutual of Omaha, Family Life, and AARP, to name a few) that offer household discounts that can mean a significant savings in premium. This savings can certainly mean the difference in one company over another when comparing costs.
How to Get a Mississippi Medigap Plan
Getting a Mississippi Medicare Supplement plan lined up is easy to do. If you are in a special enrollment period, such as open enrollment (turning 65 or signing up for Medicare Part B) or "guaranteed issue" (losing employer coverage, losing Advantage plan coverage, moving to a new state, etc.), you do NOT even have to answer any medical questions or go through a medical underwriting process. In this case, you just simply need to complete an application and wait for your insurance cards in the mail.
Regardless of your situation, if you are ready to sign up for a plan, simply compare the options, including rates and company ratings, select a plan and sign up. To get a rate quote comparison from us, which will include the top-priced options for your age and zip code and company ratings, simply request the information online using: Mississippi Medicare Supplement Quotes. We can provide the information you are seeking so you can compare multiple quotes in a centralized place and make an informed decision.